Facebook Banning Medical Face Mask Ads

first_imgMGN Stock Image.WASHINGTON – Facebook says it is banning ads and commercial listings that sell medical face masks.This comes as people panic over the Novel Coronavirus outbreak. It’s led to a shortage of masks and sellers are jacking up the price.Facebook says the new rule will be enforced in the coming days.The social networking site already bans people from making medical claims on product listings. It says it is monitoring the coronavirus situation and will make necessary policy updates if people try to exploit the public health emergency. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img

Read More →

NYSUT Sues New York State Over Reductions Of School Aid

first_imgImage by Matt Hummel / WNY News Now.ALBANY — New York State United Teachers has filed a lawsuit against New York State over reductions in state school aid for districts across the state, seeking the release of money withheld in July, August and September and an injunction against future withholding of or delayed school funding payments.The lawsuit filed in Albany County Supreme Court challenges the constitutionality of the unilateral executive budgetary powers provided for the state Division of Budget as part of this year’s state budget process. The union alleges that those unconstitutional powers have led to cuts that deprive students of their right to a sound basic education under the state Constitution.The suit argues school districts have no more local resources to tap and are dependent on state funding. In such districts, a 20 percent cut “could be catastrophic, and certainly would lead to a ‘gross and glaring inadequacy.’”NYSUT has previously highlighted the devastation stemming from state cuts, including hundreds of layoffs in districts around New York. “Time is up,” NYSUT President Andy Pallotta said. “With the loss of state funding driving cuts at the local level in districts around the state, we can’t just keep waiting for action at the federal level to fund our schools. At this point, a lawsuit unfortunately is the necessary next step to compel our leaders to do what’s right: Fund our future and stop these cuts.”NYSUT argues that the Executive Branch’s budget reduction authority violates the separation of powers in the state Constitution and is an unconstitutional delegation of the Legislature’s constitutional oversight and policy-making powers. But, in the absence of federal action, the Division of Budget began withholding 20 percent of selected local aid payments in June, according to the Fiscal Year 2021 First Quarterly State Budget Financial Plan Update.In the short term, continuing to withhold 20 percent of the funding appropriated would cause further issues with significant education-related payments the state makes this month, including a roughly $2.5 billion payment to school districts on Sept. 30.In the lawsuit, NYSUT points to the state’s ability to draw upon approximately $7 billion in reserves and settlement funds to avoid draconian cuts. The union also has advocated for other solutions to help fund public education, including taxes on the ultrawealthy and additional federal stimulus funding.School districts across the state are considering or making staffing cuts that only serve to reduce student access to academic and other essential services, the lawsuit argues.“Our students and families deserve better than staffing and program cuts just as we begin a new school year with unprecedented challenges,” Pallotta said. “A high-quality education is a vital service that’s central to helping communities thrive. It’s about time it was funded like one.” Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

Sheriff’s Office Warning Residents About Pistol Permit Scam

first_imgStock Image.MAYVILLE – The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office is warning residents about a scam involving the county’s pistol permit process. The Sheriff’s Office Pistol Permit Office received serveral complaints Wednesday that text messages are being sent to residents indicating that today is the last day that concealed carry permits (pistol permits) may be requested.Officials say this is not the case and there are no plans to disrupt this service to Chautauqua County residents.Anyone receiving a text message similar to this should disregard the text. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img

Read More →

Trump Pledges An ‘Orderly Transition’ As Congress Certifies Biden’s Win

first_imgImage via HOUSE TV.WASHINGTON – Congress formally confirmed Joe Biden’s presidential election victory after an overnight joint session was delayed by violent protests. Shortly after the certification, President Trump issued a statement promising an “orderly transition on January 20th.”Law enforcement officers secured the U.S. Capitol building after pro-Trump supporters breached the perimeter and entered the building as Congress met Wednesday afternoon.Lawmakers reconvened late Wednesday evening, intending to vote and affirm Joe Biden’s presidential win.The Senate recessed its debate over an objection to the results of the Electoral College after protesters forced police to lock down the building. The scene was declared a riot by police, and a curfew for DC is in effect. One woman was shot inside the Capitol and taken to the hospital; she has died from her injuries. Officials said late Wednesday she was killed when an officer discharged their service weapon. Lawmakers reconvened Wednesday evening shortly after 8 p.m. EST.Washington, D.C., Police Chief Robert Contee said three other people died in “medical emergencies.”Congress first began the joint session at 1 p.m. ET to count and confirm the Electoral College vote won by Biden, while thousands of supporters of President Donald Trump rallied near the White House before some demonstrators became violent and breached the Capitol building.Trump’s Republican allies in the House and Senate had planned to object to the election results, which the president continues to challenge. The effort will likely fail and be defeated by bipartisan majorities in Congress who are prepared to accept the election results.Despite Trump’s repeated claims of voter fraud, election officials and his own former attorney general have said there were no problems on a scale that would change the outcome. All the states have certified their results as fair and accurate, by Republican and Democratic officials alike. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

Off-Broadway Hit, Buyer & Cellar, Starring Michael Urie, Extended Again

first_img Related Shows Urie stars as a struggling Los Angeles actor named Alex, who finds himself taking an odd job working in the Malibu basement of Hollywood mega-star, Barbra Streisand. When the A-lister makes a rare appearance one day, the comedy launches into an outrageous look at fame and the price that accompanies it. The critically acclaimed hit Buyer & Cellar, which recently celebrated its 200th performance at the Barrow Street Theatre off-Broadway, has been extended yet again through April 13. The comedy starring Michael Urie is written by Jonathan Tolins and directed by Stephen Brackett. The Buyer & Cellar team includes set design by Andrew Boyce, costume design by Jessica Pabst, lighting design by Eric Southern and sound design is by Stowe Nelson. The show biz comedy officially opened on April 3, 2013 and has been extended several times. View Comments Star Filescenter_img Michael Urie received the 2013 Drama Desk and Clarence Derwent Awards for his acclaimed performance. He will launch the national tour of Buyer & Cellar in Chicago’s Broadway Playhouse in April followed by an engagement at Los Angeles’ Mark Taper Forum, with additional cities to be announced soon. Show Closed This production ended its run on July 27, 2014 Buyer & Cellar Michael Urielast_img read more

Read More →

Broadway.com and Bullets Have an Offer You Can’t Refuse

first_imgWe’ve got an offer you can’t refuse! CLICK HERE to purchase your tickets! For a limited time only, purchase a premium, orchestra or front mezzanine ticket to see Bullets Over Broadway, and you will also get a $35 Broadway.com gift certificate. This exciting offer is only good for Bullets performances between March 11 through March 20. Bullets Over Broadway is a killer new musical comedy based on the hilarious Woody Allen movie. The musical, directed and choreographed by hitmaker Susan Stroman (The Producers), stars Zach Braff as David Shayne, an aspiring young playwright who is forced to cast a mobster’s talentless girlfriend in his latest drama in order to get it produced.center_img View Comments Get ready for an unforgettable night at the theater with Braff, Marin Mazzie and a bevy of leggy chorus girls and tough gangster types, and then use your gift certificate for another great night of entertainment! last_img read more

Read More →

Diva No More! Dianne Wiest is Happy to Let Marin Mazzie Be the Difficult One

first_img Wiest never dreamt of Bullets becoming a Broadway musical simply because Allen is typically too protective of his films. “But if I hadn’t been in the movie,” she said. “I certainly would have thought it was written for the stage first. It belongs where it now is!” The stage and screen vet raved about the finished show: “With those wonderful actors, that incredible chorus, the music [Woody] picked out from the ‘30s and Santo Loquasto’s set… I mean, it’s transportive! It’s wonderful!” Related Shows Three-time Tony Award nominee Mazzie landed the role of Sinclair in the musical, beating out countless stage stars for the part. Her past performances include Mother in Ragtime, Lilli Vanessi in Kate Me, Kate and Margaret White in Carrie. Helen Sinclair has finally landed on Broadway! And for Dianne Wiest, who won an Oscar when she brought the Jazz Age stage diva to life in Woody Allen’s Bullets Over Broadway, that’s cause for celebration! View Comments “It’s been a long haul to get here,” she laughed when Broadway.com stopped her on opening night of the musical version of Bullets on April 10. “And thank goodness [there’s] another personality that can perform for me called Marin Mazzie and she is wonderful!” Bullets Over Broadway Show Closed This production ended its run on Aug. 24, 2014last_img read more

Read More →

Monty Python’s Final Hurrah Will Play Movie Theaters Worldwide

first_img View Comments Break out your popcorn and sodas, lumberjacks, because Monty Python is coming to the big screen for one final hurrah! According to The Hollywood Reporter, the legendary comedy group’s July 20 performance of Monty Python Live (mostly) at London’s O2 arena, which will likely be the crew’s swansong, will be broadcast in almost 2000 movie theaters around the world, including the U.S. As previously reported, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and Michael Palin (Graham Chapman died in 1989) will perform “some of Monty Python’s greatest hits with modern topical, Pythonesque twists” in Monty Python Live (mostly), a new stage show set to begin at the O2 July 1.  The Monty Python films include And Now for Something Completely Different, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python’s Life of Brian, Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl and 1983’s Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, which was the final occasion all six original stars worked together before Chapman’s death. Monty Python’s Spamalot opened on Broadway in 2005, earning three Tony Awards.last_img read more

Read More →

Neil Patrick Harris Will Play Host For New Weekly Variety Show

first_img View Comments Neil Patrick Harris has an addiction to hosting. Seriously, it may be time for an intervention. The Tony and Emmy winner has been tapped to headline a U.S. version of the British variety show Saturday Night Takeaway. NBC has ordered ten-episodes of the hour-long series, which will be filmed in front of a live audience. Neither an official title nor air date has been set. Harris has expressed interest in a weekly variety show in the past, including when he was reportedly shortlisted to take over the Late Show. The former Hedwig will put on his hosting hat again to emcee the Oscars on February 22, 2015. He has hosted the Tonys four times and the Emmys twice. “Nothing like this has been done before, and its unique structure fits right into my random skill set,” said Harris, in a statement. “I can’t wait to roll up my sleeves and have some fun!” Saturday Night Takeaway premiered on ITV in 2002. The variety show features sketches, games and more and is presented by comedy duo Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, better known as Ant & Dec. Further details, including a timeline for the project, have yet to surface, but something tells us that the series will feature many gems for musical lovers.last_img read more

Read More →

London Odds & Ends: Lin-Manuel Miranda to Star in Hamilton & More

first_imgLin-Manuel Miranda in ‘Hamilton'(Photo: Joan Marcus) Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today from London. Lin-Manuel Miranda to Eventually Star in HamiltonLooks like Lin-Manuel Miranda will be in the room where it happens in London! According to the Daily Mail, he will join the West End cast of Hamilton in 2018 or 2019. As previously reported, his hit tuner is set to open at the refurbished Victoria Palace Theatre in the West End in October 2017. As if you weren’t already aware, the acclaimed, Pulitzer Prize, Grammy and presumably Tony-winning show is playing at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.Carlyss Peer Tapped for B’way-Bound Groundhog DayBroadway.com has confirmed that Carlyss Peer will star opposite Main Stem favorite Andy Karl in the Great White Way-bound Groundhog Day. The RADA-trained actress will play TV producer Rita in the musical from Tim Minchin and Danny Rubin (who also penned the movie). Directed by Matthew Warchus and choreographed by Peter Darling, the production will make its world premiere at London’s Old Vic on July 11; the Broadway transfer is scheduled to start previews on January 23, 2017.Ruth Wilson Will Headline Hedda GablerThe Affair’s Ruth Wilson, who was Tony nominated for Constellations last year, will return to the stage in Hedda Gabler, the Daily Mail writes. Ivo Van Hove, whose New York stage credits this season alone include The Crucible, David Bowie’s Lazarus and A View From the Bridge, will direct the previously reported National Theatre’s revival of Ibsen’s classic. Performances will begin at the Lyttleton Theatre in December. View Commentslast_img read more

Read More →