Essequibo confident of retaining OMSCC inter-county trophy

first_imgEssequibo are confident of retaining the Ontario Masters Softball Cricket Clubs (OMSCC) four-team 20-over competition trophy on Sunday at Ashtonbee Ground, Scarborough, Toronto.The Essequibians’ Coach, Rudy Bhoopaul has expressed optimism that his boys would once again be the dominant side at the end of the one-day event.According to Bhoopaul, Essequibo have won the competition for the past five consecutive years and that has given him great motivation in the Khan-Memorial sponsored competition.The other teams participating are: Demerara, Berbice and an All-Stars XI.“We [are] definitely confident of winning the trophy again; the guys are all pumped-up and ready to go; I know last year only three teams took part, but the addition of Berbice this year would be even more competitive, but we are ready for any challenge,” the Canada-based Guyanese l related.The skipper of the side, Rovendra Mandolall was equally confident. The right-handed former Essequibo and Guyana youth player stated that they were not the ‘whipping boys’ in this annual tournament, and he was very upbeat about Essequibo doing well for the sixth time in succession.“I think we have a balanced team to play against these strong Berbice, Demerara and All-Stars sides, but we just have to go out there and play competitive cricket from ball one again. Obviously, it is a new year and everyone will want to come out on top,” noted Mandolall, who skippered Essequibo at the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) senior inter-county competition.Apart from Mandolall, Essequibo can pin their hopes high on veteran batsman Jaimini Singh, Azeez Baksh, Radesh Monasar, and Amarnauth Sookoo among others.Berbice are expected to feature an experienced side as well, and the players include former Guyana and West Indies Under-19 batsman Hemnarine Chattergoon, Canadian player Aftab Shamsundeen, Yadram Bogh, Sunil Dhaniram, and Muniram Karran just to name a few.Demerara seem to have a formidable line-up with some high-profile softball players including Shiv Seeram, Troy Gobin, Bobby Parasnauth, Zaheer Haniff, Satrohan Balkarran, Ian Baldeo, and Eion Katchay.The All-Stars side are yet to release some of the cricketers’ names as the side will be picked soon, according to reports. The team comprise players from the three counties of Guyana. The action bowls off at 09:30h. (Ravi Madholall)last_img read more

Read More →

3 incumbents will keep their seats at City Hall

first_imgVoter turnout was 10.3 percent. Dames, 69, and Malkin, 62, were elected to fourth terms, while Jones, 59, was elected to his third term. This should be Malkin’s last four years on the council. During the campaign, he said he doesn’t plan to run again. The results were not a surprise, Dames said. “It’s very difficult to beat an incumbent,” he said. “An incumbent would almost have to screw up.” In addition to win, you need to be visible and contribute to the community.” The last incumbent to lose in La Mirada was Ken Jones in 1986. Jones had some advice for Del Pino. “If he’s really serious \, he needs to do some volunteer work or apply for a commission,” he said. Challengers also have it difficult because things are going well in La Mirada, Jones said. “Our challenge is to remain vigilant to make sure things keep going well.” Malkin said the goal during the next four years will be to complete projects, such as the aquatic center, move of Home Depot and a new residential project on Alondra Boulevard. “We’ve got a lot of stuff on the plate,” Dames said. The three incumbents each spent between $1,500 and $1,800, choosing not to raise any money. Instead, they relied on money left over from past campaigns. mike.sprague@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LA MIRADA – Concluding a no-frills campaign, voters Tuesday returned incumbents Pete Dames, Steve Jones and Hal Malkin to the City Council, where each will serve another four years. The three defeated 28-year-old substitute teacher Mark Del Pino, who ran a youth-oriented campaign. He had called for more diversity on the La Mirada City Council and said his youth would have brought a different perspective to the body. He also had hoped to overcome a lack of name identity through use of his MySpace Web site, some signs and word of mouth. He favored creating more park space and new recreational programs for youngsters not into sports. Malkin received 2,098 votes and 31.4 percent of the vote, Jones, 2,037 and 30.4 percent, and Dames, 1,951 votes and 29.1percent. Meanwhile, Del Pino was limited to 591 votes and 8.9 percent, according to unofficial results Tuesday. last_img read more

Read More →

CYCLING CLUB STARTS AGAIN AT GLENVEAGH – MAJOR TOURNAMENT FOR DONEGAL

first_imgTHE Errigal Cycling Club’s youth programme starts again this Monday evening at Glenveagh National Park.Starting at 6.30pm it gives children a chance to learn basic cycling skills and add to those they already have in a safe environment.Everyone is welcome to the Sprocket Rocket club! The club’s James Harkin said they will also launch a major international youth cycling event which takes place for the first time in Co Donegal this August.“The upcoming errigal international youth tour, which will attract up to 200 youth riders between the ages of 10 and 16 takes place this August bank holiday weekend,” said James.Cyclists will compete in and around Gartan on August 4, 5, and 6 at under 12, under 14 and under 16 level.The youth tour will be a major boost for tourism in the county, attracting riders from all over Ireland and Britain. For more information go to www.errigalcyclingclub.com  CYCLING CLUB STARTS AGAIN AT GLENVEAGH – MAJOR TOURNAMENT FOR DONEGAL was last modified: May 13th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CYCLING CLUB STARTS AGAIN AT GLENVEAGH – MAJOR TOURNAMENT FOR DONEGALlast_img read more

Read More →

STUNNING DONEGAL MANSION ASKING PRICE SLASHED BY QUARTER OF A MILLION!

first_imgPROPERTY: One of Donegal’s most stunning homes is now on the market for €1.2 million – after failing to attract any potential buyers at a previous price. The stunning Ballyarr House, Ramelton is regarded as one of the most beautiful and luxurious mansions in Donegal. It had previously been priced on the market for €1,475.000, but the price has been slashed by half a million to €1,200.000.For that cool asking price, the purchaser not only gets a manageable country property, plus two additional houses on the grounds, but also buys into a chunk of literary history.For Ballyarr House has been the backdrop to a romance that could have featured in one of Jane Austen’s novels. It is on sale through local estate agents Franklins.The house is more than 200 years old and enjoys a rich history as well as having undergone some loving renovations down through the centuries.STUNNING DONEGAL MANSION ASKING PRICE SLASHED BY QUARTER OF A MILLION! was last modified: June 27th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ballyarr HouseBusinessFeaturesMarketnewspropertylast_img read more

Read More →

Revealed: The Golden Boot winners from across Europe’s leading leagues

first_img 1. Spanish LaLiga: Lionel Messi scored 37 goals for Barcelona in the 2016/17 season, the highest tally of any player in Europe – click the arrow above, right, to take a look at the Golden Boot winner across Europe’s top leagues 8. Dutch Eredivisie: Nicolai Jorgensen scored 21 goals for Feyenoord 4. German Bundesliga: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored 31 goals for Borussia Dortmund 3. Portuguese Primeira Liga: Bas Dost scored 34 goals for Sporting Lisbon 11 11 11 5 = Italian Serie A: Edin Dzeko scored 29 goals for AS Roma 11 9 = Russian Premier League: Fedor Smolov scored 18 goals for Krasnodar 11. Ukrainian Premier League: Andriy Yarmolenko scored 14 goals for Dynamo Kyiv 11 11 11 The Golden Boot: an award every striker is hoping to get their hands on each season.Premier League supporters watched Harry Kane pip Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez to the award, with his two spells on the sidelines nursing ankle injuries no doubt making his personal success even sweeter.But how do Kane’s stats for the 2016/17 campaign compare to those who claimed the Golden Boot across Europe’s leading leagues?Scroll through the gallery above to take a look at the top scorers from across Europe, including Spain, Germany and Italy. 11 9 = Swiss Super League: Seydou Doumbia (Basel) and Guillaume Hoarau (Young Boys) scored 18 goals for their respective clubs 7. Turkish Super Lig: Vagner Love scored 23 goals for Alanyaspor 11 11 11 2. French Ligue 1: Edinson Cavani scored 35 goals for Paris Saint-Germain 5 = English Premier League: Harry Kane scored 29 goals for Tottenham Hotspur last_img read more

Read More →

THE DUB AND THE BROLLY GO HEAD-TO-HEAD FOR BIG GAME PREVIEW NIGHT!

first_imgLetterkenny is the place to be on Friday if you want to warm up for Sunday’s All-Ireland semi-final.That’s because St.Eunan’s GAA Club have organised the mother of all preview nights ahead of Donegal’s big date at Croker.Some of the biggest stars of the game including Oisin McConville, Derry’s Joe Brolly, our own Declan Bonner and Dublin’s Ciaran Whelan will be the special guests on the night at the clubhouse. MC for the evening will be the Donegal Democrat/Donegal People’s Press’ Ciaran O’Donnell who has promised a few swerve balls on the night which starts at 8.30pm!Tickets for the preview night are priced at a very reasonable €10 and are available from committee members or on the night.Both Ciaran and Oisin have generously agreed to give a coaching session to the Under 12 St Eunan’s teams at around 3pm.Also on the day, Newstalk Radio’s The Right Hook Show with George Hook will be presented from O’Donnell Park between 4.30pm and 7pm. All audience members are invited to wear their county colours.And if you happen to be from Baile Atha Cliath then some body armor is also recommended!EndsTHE DUB AND THE BROLLY GO HEAD-TO-HEAD FOR BIG GAME PREVIEW NIGHT! was last modified: August 23rd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:previewRight HookSt Eunanslast_img read more

Read More →

DONEGAL GARDAÍ SEIZE MASSIVE €400,000 DRUGS HAUL

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL Gardai have made another massive drugs find tonight.It follows a major operation in Castlefin, senior officers told Donegal Daily.“As a result of an intelligence led operation involving the Garda National Drug Unit, Customs Revenue Enforcement Officers, and the Divisional Drug Unit Donegal, cannabis herb with an estimated street value €400,000 (subject to analysis) has been seized in Castlefin,” said a Garda spokesman. “The seizure was made shortly after 8pm this evening.“One male in his early 30’s has been arrested and is currently detained under section 2 of the Drug Trafficking Act 1996 in Letterkenny Garda Station.”The spokesman said that investigations are continuing.There is a large Garda presence in the area and follow-up operations are underway.  DONEGAL GARDAÍ SEIZE MASSIVE €400,000 DRUGS HAUL was last modified: February 12th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cannabiscastlefindonegaldrugs seizurelast_img read more

Read More →

ONE DIRECTION GIGS TO GO AHEAD, SAYS BAND

first_imgHARRY Styles says One Direction are “very sorry” for cancelling a gig at the last minute in Belfast last night leaving scores of Donegal fans devastated.But the band’s two other shows in the city will go ahead as planned.Fans were already inside the city’s SSE Arena when the show was pulled at 9pmafter singer Liam Payne fell ill. That show has been rescheduled for this Friday.Styles told BBC Radio 2’s Chris Evans that Payne was “just very very ill”.“It happened so late because we were trying to get on and then it was just impossible,” he said.“We very, very much apologise to everyone.” Disappointed fans booed as staff instructed them to leave the venue and one witness said “hundreds” of girls and women had been left weeping.Concert promoter Aiken PR said: “The show tonight has been cancelled as Liam has taken ill, and whilst not serious, he is unable to perform tonight.”It was the first time in the band’s five-year career that they had been forced to cancel a show.Previously, members had filled in for each other when illness struck.“To be honest, we feel kind of lucky that we’ve got to this point and never cancelled one,” said Styles. “So obviously, we’re all very disappointed and very, very much apologise to everyone who was there.”ONE DIRECTION GIGS TO GO AHEAD, SAYS BAND was last modified: October 21st, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BelfastdonegalgigsOne Directionlast_img read more

Read More →

Another Dead Sea Scroll Fragment Discovered

first_img“A secretive encounter with a Bedouin in a desert valley” has produced a fragment of the Bible transcribed nearly two millennia ago, reported MSNBC News.  The fragment, a portion of Leviticus on parchment, was found near the Dead Sea, and “has given rise to hope that the Judean Desert may yield more treasures.”  The artifact dates from the period of the Bar Kochba revolt in the second century of the Roman Empire.  This is the first discovery of its kind since the 1960s.  The archaeologist reluctantly paid a Bedouin for the fragment for fear it would otherwise be lost.The land of the Bible remains a buried treasure.  Only a small percentage of potential sites have been explored, and only a small fraction of artifacts have been uncovered.  Each fragment found in this politically-troubled land has enormous potential to shed light on the greatest story ever told.(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Read More →