Royal Canadian Navy vessel returns to Halifax after sixmonth NATO mission

first_imgHALIFAX – A Halifax-based navy frigate has returned to its home port after a six-month deployment with NATO forces in Europe.HMCS St. John’s and its 240-member crew participated in Operation Reassurance, which is aimed at promoting security and stability in central and eastern Europe.The ship served with the Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 in the Mediterranean Sea.During its time at sea, St. John’s took part in four large-scale exercises, while visiting 16 ports in 10 countries.The vessel travelled more than 37,000 nautical miles during the deployment.HMCS Charlottetown is to replace St. John’s as part of the NATO operations in early August.last_img

Read More →

Ricky Hatton Calls It Quits After Vyacheslav Senchenko Loss

Ricky Hatton, a former two-weight world champion, has announced his retirement for a second time after his comeback defeat to 35-year-old Vyacheslav Senchenko Saturday night.The 34-year-old Hatton previously announced his retirement in July of 2011, but had not fought since 2009. Hatton wanted to see if he could still compete in the sport that he loved.“I needed one more fight to see if I had still got it – and I haven’t” he said. “I couldn’t have done any better.”Hatton started the fight aggressively, but as the match progressed fatigue began to set in and he began to let his guard down. A body shot delivered by Senchenko to Hatton’s ribs in the ninth-round ended the fight and he knew his career was done.“A fighter knows and I know it isn’t there anymore,” Hatton said. “I have got to be a man and say it is the end of Ricky Hatton.”Hatton admitted after the fight that he was in the best shape he could be in, but even if the hit to body would not have occurred, he would have barely been able to finish the fight.“It’s too many hard fights, I’ve burned the candle at both ends, I’ve put my body through the mire in and out of the ring,” he said.This is Hatton’s second disappointing defeat. He was knocked out in his previous fight by Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas in 2009 and retired following the loss.After the Saturday night defeat, Hatton said he accomplished his goal by seeing if he could mount a comeback without being eliminated in the early rounds.“I have got the answers I needed,” Hatton said. “I can look at myself in the mirror and tell myself I did my best.”Matthew Macklin, the former European middleweight champion, feels Hatton made the right decision.“It is the right thing to do,” Macklin told BBC Sport. “He was a shadow of his former self on Saturday night.”Hatton’s career has had a lasting impression on Macklin and boxing community. Macklin said that instead of mourning his loss, that his career should be celebrated.“We should talk about how good he was,” Macklin said. “He is one of the greatest British fighters, certainly one of the most exciting, and he is a former two-time world champion.”Hatton ends his career with a lifetime of record of 45-3. read more

Read More →

Kompany is delighted about Citys performance

first_imgThe club is back to its winning ways and managed to beat Southampton FC 3-1 today in the last match of 2018 in the English Premier LeagueAfter two consecutive defeats in the English Premier League, Manchester City returned to the victory path.The team was able to beat Southampton 3-1 today.And captain Vincent Kompany is delighted after today’s performance.“It was more than just the result – it was about the way we played,” the defender told Sky Sports.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“We’re not focusing on anything much other than our performance. We have to be hungry and aggressive.”“We’ve been hit in our pride recently and that’s how a team has to react,” he commented.“We’ve got four competitions to play for in an incredible season. Today was a step in the right direction.”“We go into the next game in the same frame of mind, as always. We just want to win,” he explained.“We need to be ready for a fight and ready to take it to them [Liverpool] and try to win. We should be able to pull everything out of the locker for that game.”last_img read more

Read More →

Beth Ross Buckley on Good Morning San Diego

first_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – There’s a great concert coming up at the museum of photographic arts. One of the musicians set to perform, is renowned flautist Beth Ross Buckley, and she joined us Sunday on Good Morning San Diego. November 4, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Beth Ross Buckley, on Good Morning San Diego Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Posted: November 4, 2018last_img read more

Read More →

Two students found dead in city hotel

first_imgPolice on Tuesday recovered the bodies of two students from a residential hotel in Farmgate of the capital, reports UNB.The deceased were Aminul Islam Sajal, a student of Dhaka College and Moriam Aktar Jerin, a student of World University.Inspector (investigation) of Tejgaon police station, Sentu Mia said the duo rented a room in Samrat Hotel identifying themselves as married couple on Monday.As they did not come out of the room for a long time the hotel authorities informed the matter to police, he said.Around 3:30pm police broke into the room and found them dead, he added.The bodies were sent to Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital for autopsy.last_img

Read More →

Google Parent Alphabet Beats HolidayQuarter Earnings Expectations

first_img Popular on Variety Google parent Alphabet delivered a better-than-expected holiday quarter earnings report on Monday, with some asterisks: The company’s numbers for the quarter benefitted from a one-time cash injection. High costs and lower margins also didn’t help to calm investors, who proceeded to send the company’s share price down around 3% in after-hours trading.Alphabet generated revenue of $39.3 billion during the fourth quarter of 2018, compared to $32.3 billion during the same quarter a year before. The company’s net income for the most recent quarter was $8.9 billion. For the same quarter in 2017, Alphabet had booked a net loss of $3 billion due to changes in taxation following Trump’s tax cuts. Without those changes, net income for Q4 of 2017 would have been $6.8 billion.Analysts had expected net income of $7.6 billion on revenue of $38.9 billion. A closer look at Alphabet’s numbers revealed that the company’s operating margin declined from 24% to 21% year-over-year, which likely contributed to investors sending the stock down 3% in after-hours trading. The company also included a $1.3 billion securities gain in its net income, which means the company’s actual business grew less that its net income numbers may suggest.Also notable: Alphabet’s other revenues, which include non-Google business, such as the company’s autonomous car project, saw its losses nearly double, to the tune of $1.3 billion for the holiday quarter.One growing contributor to the company’s revenue is Google’s hardware business. Alphabet doesn’t break out the amount of money it makes with Pixel phones and Home smart speakers, but the company’s non-advertising revenues grew from around $5 billion in Q4 of 2017 to $6.5 billion in Q4 of 2018.Google CEO Sundar Pichai didn’t share any concrete sales numbers, but told investors during the company’s earnings call on Monday afternoon that it had sold “millions” of devices during the quarter. He did share one small nugget meant to highlight the success of one of its newest devices: one in seven Google Home devices activated during the holiday season was a Google Home Hub, Pichai said.However, the company’s bet on Google-made hardware also comes with significant expenses: Google spent close to $1.5 billion acquisitions in 2018, up from $287 million in 2017. A big chunk of that was the HTC phone team it acquired last year to design and build its own handsets.Pichai highlighted YouTube as one of the company’s success stories, saying the number of YouTube channels with more than 1 million subscribers nearly doubled in 2018. The number of creators making five-figure revenues or more with their channels grew by 40% during the year, he said.Asked whether Google had any plans to respond to efforts from big-game publishers to sidestep app store fees, Pichai signaled that the company had no plans to reduce the cut it takes from Google Play. “There is a value exchange there, and it’s been the industry standard,” he said. “We’ll continue down this path.”center_img ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15last_img read more

Read More →

Over 400 job offers land at IITKharagpur on Day 1

first_imgKolkata: Over 400 job offers have been made on the first day of the placement season at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, a press release from the institute has said. More than 362 companies have already registered and over 618 profiles have been opened by them, giving ample opportunity to students to choose their career wisely, it said. Of them, 256 were PPOs (pre-placement offers) and close to 150 were fresh ones, the statement said Saturday evening on the first day of placements. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life The first phase of placement is expected to continue till December 20. Qualcomm and Microsoft made the highest number of offers which stood at 21. As many as 12 international offers were received including six from Mercury Japan and four from Microsoft and more offers were expected as the placement progressed, it said. More than 16 new companies including ARPWood Capital, AB InBev, Blackrock and Bidgely are participating in the first few days of the placement session, the statement said. The placement season is also witnessing the participation of some 33 leading start-ups. Most of the companies are visiting the campus in the first few days of placement including Zomato, Ola, Oyo, Flipkart and Innovacer, it said.last_img read more

Read More →