Editorial: The Clean Power Plan Is Far From Dead

first_imgEditorial: The Clean Power Plan Is Far From Dead FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享From the Los Angeles Times:The Supreme Court’s order late Tuesday halting President Obama’s Clean Power Plan is frustratingly opaque. The terse ruling offers no hints about why the court took the unusual step of pausing Obama’s important new regulations — which would have significantly curtailed emissions from the nations’ coal-fired electric plants — before a lower court had ruled on their legality. The justices may be sending the president a message about his expansive use of executive authority. Or the court may be trying to avoid a repeat of last summer’s Michigan v. EPA ruling, in which most of the nation’s power plants were already far along the path to compliance before the court got around to striking down the regulations that had been challenged in that case.Yet all is not lost. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit is expected to hear arguments in June on the merits of the challenge to the EPA’s regulations, and if the fight reaches the Supreme Court, a decision likely wouldn’t come until after Obama leaves office. If the EPA prevails, states will still have time to move away from coal-fired energy production under a timetable that is supposed to see reductions begin in 2022. If the EPA loses, the next president must work with Congress to achieve the same or an even more ambitious goal, though that seems likely only to happen if the Democrats take power. As it is, at least 18 states, including California, support the Clean Power Plan, and there is nothing to preclude them from moving ahead on their own (California has already practically eliminated coal from its energy portfolio, and is ahead of the federal Clean Power Plan timeline for reducing carbon emissions).Full editorial: The U.S. can’t allow Supreme Court clean power roadblock to slow its fight against climate changelast_img read more

Read More →

Cricket News Tendulkar and Middlesex Cricket join hands to launch academy

first_imgMumbai: Iconic Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar on Wednesday announced an association with Middlesex Cricket to launch Tendulkar Middlesex Global Academy (TMGA).The academy will provide young girls and boys between the age of nine and 14 an opportunity to learn from master blaster Tendulkar himself and Middlesex Cricket.TMGA, a joint venture between SRT Sports Management Ltd and Middlesex Cricket, will begin by launching its first cricket camp at Merchant Taylor’s School in Northwood from August 6-9 followed by other locations in Mumbai and London.Middlesex Cricket has produced players such as Andrew Strauss, Mike Gatting, Denis Compton, John Emburey and Mike Brearley.The comprehensive training curriculum has been developed by the professional coaches at MCCC and Tendulkar himself.TMGA will also provide 100 percent scholarship to the talented underprivileged children.I am delighted to be partnering with Middlesex Cricket on this new venture. The objective is not only to produce good cricketers but also good global citizens of the future. Through this association, Middlesex and I are focused on providing the very best in cricket education, as much as possible, for our students,” said Tendulkar.Richard Goatley, CEO, Middlesex Cricket said, It has been a great privilege over the past six months to work with Sachin Tendulkar and his team in developing what we believe will be the market leading coaching programme in the world.” For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Read More →