Train carrying water from Jolarpettai arrives in parched Chennai

first_imgChennai: A train carrying 2.5 million litres of water arrived in Chennai, which has been grappling with an acute water crisis over the past few months, officials said Friday.The train with 50 tank wagons (BTPN), carrying 50,000 litres of water in each of them from Jolarpettai in Tamil Nadu’s Vellore district, reached the filling station at the Integral Coach Factory Yard in Villivakkam Friday afternoon. Around 100 inlet pipes installed near the railway tracks would be used to discharge 2.5 million litres of water in all the wagons to be sent to a treatment plant after passing through a conduit, an official of Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board said. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!”After treatment it would be sent for distribution. This arrangement has been made for the next six months until the (advent of the) north-east monsoon,” the official said. The train was supposed to reach Chennai on Thursday, but leakages in the valves led to the delay. Jolarpettai is 217 km away from the southern metropolis. All the arrangements took around 20 days of time to complete. The initiative would be formally inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Ministers later in the day, the official said. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedChennai has been grappling with an acute water crisis over the past few months. The southern metropolis is facing a daily water deficit of at least 200 million litres, and the four reservoirs supplying to the city have run dry. The Tamil Nadu government had earlier requested the railways to help them ferry the water to the city. Earlier, Chief Minister K Palaniswami had announced mitigating Chennai’s water woes by getting drinking water supplied from Jolarpettai with an allocation of Rs 65 crore.last_img read more

Read More →

Adrian Bayley loses appeal over 35year sentence for Jill Meagher murder

first_imgTHE MAN CONVICTED of the rape and murder of Irish woman Jill Meagher has lost his appeal against a minimum 35-year jail term in Melbourne, Australia.Adrian Bayley raped and killed the Louth woman last September as she walked home from a night out with work friends in the Australian city.Her body was found in a shallow grave six days after she went missing.Bayley, 41, had a string of previous convictions for sexual and violent offences and was jailed for a minimum 35 years at Victorian Supreme Court in June.At a hearing in Melbourne overnight lawyers for Bayley argued that a non-parole period of 28 to 32 years would be more appropriate and that 35 years was excessive.But the Court of Appeal’s Chief Justice Marilyn Warren and Justices Marcia Neave and Paul Coghlan took less than 10 minutes to consider the case before dismissing it.It will publish its reasons for doing so at a later date, according to The Age. The appeal came just days after the anniversary of Meagher’s death.Read: Tributes paid to Jill Meagher one year onRead: Mayor of town where Jill Meagher was murdered visits her family in DroghedaRead: Jill Meagher’s rapist and killer jailed for at least 35 yearslast_img read more

Read More →