College Football Team Getting Paid Record $2 Million For Game This Weekend

first_imgAn interior view of the Florida Gators football stadium.GAINESVILLE, FL – SEPTEMBER 10: A general view as the University of Florida Gators takes on the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on September 10, 2005 in Gainesville, Florida. Florida defeated Louisiana Tech 41-3. (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images)Jim McElwain was fired from Florida last year, but the Gators are very much still paying for his tenure, especially with this weekend’s game against Colorado State.Colorado State did a great job on McElwain’s contract when he was head coach of the Rams.He became a hot commodity after a 10-2 2014 season, his third with CSU. He had steady progress, going from 4-8 in his first year, to 8-6, to that 10-win season, which led to him being hired by the Gators.As part of the $7 million buyout Florida paid to Colorado State, the Gators will pay their visitors a record $2 million for this weekend’s game. ESPN has more on the $2 million deal between Florida and Colorado State.The Gators will be paying off their $2 million guarantee to the Rams — the largest single-game payout that any one school has paid to another.[…]“We’re getting paid $2 million?” Rams coach Mike Bobo said. “That’s good.”The previous record for a single-game guarantee that any one school has paid to another without getting any compensation in return was $1.7 million, which Ohio State gave Oregon State earlier this season and will be matched in three other games later this season.McElwain looked to be continuing his success at Florida at first, going 10-4 in his first year in Gainesville. Things slid a bit in year two, despite another SEC East title, and in year three, it became clear that he wasn’t figuring out the long-struggling Gators offense.He finished with a 22-12 (16-8) record in two-plus years at UF.Florida is 1-1 on the year, after falling to Kentucky for the first time in over three decades last weekend. Colorado State is 1-2, but coming off an upset win over another SEC squad, Arkansas.[ESPN]last_img read more

Read More →

UN helps demobilize 880 children linked to armed groups in DR Congo

Madnodje Mounoubai, spokesperson for the mission, known by its French acronym MONUC, told a news conference in Kinshasa that the great majority of the 839 boys and 41 girls are Congolese, but there are also 31 Rwandans, two Burundians and two Ugandans. All of the children were handed over to non-governmental organizations (NGOs) for their return and reintegration into their families and communities, after they were demobilized by MONUC’s Child Protection Unit.In early February, MONUC had separated 98 additional children from the various armed groups in North Kivu, where fighting between the Government army (FARDC), a mainly Tutsi militia known as the CNDP, Hutu groups and others has displaced some 250,000 civilians since last August.The separation of children from armed forces and groups is one of MONUC’s priorities, within the framework of its support to the process of the accelerated integration of armed groups into the FARDC. MONUC calls on all actors to continue to support its efforts in this area, “so that children are not sent to the front, and to allow all minors associated with armed groups to be able to reintegrate into civilian life as soon as possible,” the mission said on its website.Also at today’s news conference, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that attacks against humanitarians are on the increase in several parts of North Kivu, with five cases reported in January, 13 in February and four already in the first few days of March.Meanwhile, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of MONUC, Alan Doss, has welcomed a new stabilization and reconstruction plan for the eastern DRC, which was agreed upon by local and international stakeholders under the auspices of the Congolese Prime Minister. Mr. Doss specifically pledged to support the plan in the areas of security and the restoration of State authority.In related news, a joint mission led by the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has arrived in Katanga province, in the area of Ankoro, to address the issue of malnutrition. OCHA says that since September 2008, there have been nearly 1,200 cases of children suffering from acute malnutrition in Ankoro, a situation being compounded by population increases as well as malaria. Also in Katanga, the World Health Organization (WHO) is supporting local efforts to treat a cholera epidemic. 4 March 2009The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has demobilized 880 children associated with armed groups in the volatile eastern province of North Kivu between 30 January and 2 March, it was announced today. read more

Read More →